Sunday, October 12, 2014

RV Meals on Wheels


Happy Thanksgiving (Canadian)
Finding a subject when you are living in an RV takes a little bit of time and effort, food is always a subject.
Why am I living in an RV? Glad you asked, you see in the summer time I live on a very busy Island called Prince Edward Island. PEI as we call it is on the EAst Coast and in Canada. My son told me once in a tone of anger that we didn't live in a home we lived in a business. He was right! Our home is a business, it's a Bed and Breakfast that also houses Grandma's Afternoon Tea Room in the Great Room. The view from the Great Room is of my gardens and My French Gardener.

On September 20th, I closed my doors for yet another season and invited my French Gardener on a trip across Canada. Afterall, I don't drive, map, plan, or cook so I thought it would be a good break for him to get out of the garden, he agreed.

RV Meals on Wheels
Just because you are on the road is no reason to eat in a restaurant, besides it can get expensive and not to mention sooner or later you will end up with the squirts, most likely from the lack of proper food preparation. How do I know this? Hum, food safety and sanitation certificates and the health department has ruled that no one should suffer the squirts and 90% of the time it is due to the handling of food.

So, What's for supper?

RV Cheesy Chicken and Rice a la Crock-Pot



Ingredients:
1 can of Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
1 1/3 cups of water
3/4 cup of Uncle Bens Tomato and Basil Rice (see below)
1 cup of frozen Italian vegetables (see below)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder, garlic powder
3/4 cup of bean medley
1/4 tsp black pepper
extra cut up vegetables left over in the fridge, I had red pepper, tomato and onion.
chicken breasts, boneless and skinless.
1/2 cup shredded old cheddar cheese
Directions:
1. Stir the soup, water, rice, onion powder, pepper and vegetables the crock-pot
2. Place the chicken on top of the rice mixture.
3. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours. Top with that old cheddar, let stand for 10 minutes. Stir and serve.
Note: this is an altered recipe from a Campbell's Soup Recipe.


After 4 hours and not to mention the smell inside the RV was amazing
We had supper ready with little or no work
Lucky I suggested the idea to my French Gardener, didn't he do an amazing job?
It sure was yummy, I almost can't wait till next Monday's Meals on Wheels.
I've had many wonderful picture taking opportunities being on the road. However come Monday's I'd like to let you see what happens on the inside of the RV. 

I'll be sharing this Monday with Judith at "Mosaic Monday" at Lavender Cottage. 



See you Next Monday,

Cindy & her French Gardener


18 comments:

Lynne said...

I was "laughing out loud" at your "squirts" comment!
No doubt some truth in that . . .
Your chicken/rice crockpot recipe looks and sounds very good . . .

Lorrie said...

Home cooking on the road in an RV or in a boat, or on a campstove always tastes wonderful! This looks like a great meal for a cool day. Happy Thanksgiving.

Maggie said...

I have good memories of the RV trips we've taken in the past, this is a recipe I wish I'd had back then.
Happy Thanksgiving to you both.

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Thank you for your visit earlier this week! I'm happy it allowed me to find your very interesting blog. The photos are so appetizing!

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

Home cooking is best whether you are in an RV or a normal kitchen...this looks delicious :)

Little Wandering Wren said...

Cooking to me is a boring necessity, but cooking whilst on the road, then that's adventure and fun, looks a great recipe thanks for sharing!
Wren x

Country Gal said...

Looks and sounds delish . I am making a chicken stew in the slow cooker for today . Hope the weather is good for you where ever you are it is raining here , yesterday we had a pretty frost but the day was lovely ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good week !

Janus said...

That looks like a good meal. You're lucky to have Guy, a man who knew what to do with himself when he retired.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Janus said...

That looks like a good meal. You're lucky to have Guy, a man who knew what to do with himself when he retired.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Linda aka Crafty Gardener said...

So, where are you on the road? and are you just exploring Canada or are you heading into the States. I make a similar meal in my crock pot, in fact I do crock pot cooking on the weekends so we have meals during the week. That is a habit from when I worked and I try to keep up with it now we are retired.

Beth said...

Your chicken dish looks great! I too am a great fan of crockpot cooking. Enjoy your RVing and hope you make it south to warmer climates over the winter.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Looks yummy Cindy, thanks for sharing your recipe at Mosaic Monday.

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

What a fun life and a yummy dinner on the road Cindy!!

Amy at love made my home said...

It is such a great idea to cook in your crockpot while you are on the road! Your all in one pot dinner sounds lovely. xx

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Happy Thanksgiving!
Yum - your dinner sounds yummy. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for stopping by and nice comment.
Enjoy your evening.

Rajesh said...

That sure is delicious meals.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Mmmmm..I can almost smell how good this meal was from your photos! Hope you had a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

The food looks scrumptious. And you definitely deserve an RV/travel break! I know you'll have a wonderful time. We lived in a 40 foot RV full time for over 10 years, traveling the US. We took a much smaller RV (RoadTrek Camper Van) to Alaska and Canada this summer (our first RV trip for several years). I love RVing! And you definitely eat better when you have one (as compared to if you stay in motels and eat in restaurants).

I look forward to hearing more about your trip -- our taste of Canada this summer really made me want to come back some time.

ghost bead bracelet