Saturday, May 30, 2015

After the Rain

Hi my friends! I know I haven't been great at getting around to ya'll lately but I think of you each and every day. In between those hours I have been roasting coffee, pulling weeds, printing menus and watching my rhubarb grow. Yes, I'm all out of rhubarb chutney and rhubarb juice I'll have to share those recipes, you'll love them.

 

Ok, so the coffee -- The French Gardener and I received this larger than life box at the post office and got home to open it up and found there were 30 pounds of 6 varieties of coffee from Rwanda of various different washing stations - growing altitudes - soils and average temperatures. These are Fair Trade beans, rare & ethically-sourced coffee and as I sit the beans are still de-gassing and popping in front of me.

 

This morning I made a fresh ground coffee and headed out to walk about my garden. Amazed at how fast things are growing and popping out of the ground. I stood by the pond and noticed something rather unusual - last night we had a spraying of rain and although the walkway was just damp the air was magnificient. It forced me to deep breath and just caught me in one of those Aha moments where you don't hear a thing around you - the air smelled like fresh cut watermellon and new rubber boots and I couldn't get enough of it. I refilled my coffee and headed back out to take a few pictures to show you some of the aha moment.

The clematis is coming along nicely

The magnolia is almost done dropping her pettals but that big ole propane tank still haunts me, lol

Perfect fence for a paint brush while the solomon seal looks on

II've been working at getting green between the rocks and looks like this year it worked

Only a couple of the fairy gardens are out but so are the checkered tulips behind

 

Excuse the barn door it just seems to always be open. I made a garden planter for my purple wave petunias and the French gardener drilled larger holes for the wave and smaller ones and I put new strawberry plants in those

 

The pond got her spring cleaning - we won't go there it is a messy smelly job

Asparagus is weeded and growing up nicely. I have 5 coming to Grandma's Tea Room today for Afternoon Tea and they requested a Vegetarian Tea, so fresh asparagus rolled around garden herb cream cheese is on the menu

 

Speaking of the menu - got that done and also the placemats , this year they are peach and I've added 8 new recipies to the placemat and printed some nice recipe cards to sit on the table. Our tea sniffing bar has three new tea varieties

Sticky buns were also part of my week as Victoria needed to take a treat to the girls at the doctor's office.

 

Well I should get a move on. After my tea, I might have a couple of hours to play in my mini fairy gardens.

Bye for now,

Cindy

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7 comments:

Lynne said...

Happy return . . . fun to see your gardens and I will take a few of those sticky buns too, please!

Linda aka Crafty Gardener said...

I love that plant holder for the petunias, looking forward to seeing it later in the season. It was lovely to have a peek into your garden.

Amy at love made my home said...

Very busy times! Your gardens look beautiful!! xx

Country Gal said...

WOW ! You have been busy ! I love your gardens and your planting ideas soo cute ! I have been catching up on blogs as I have been out most days in my gardens to ! . Lovely photos . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

lynn cockrell said...

Cindy, your gardens are looking wonderful. The PVC planters are a great idea and when those wave petunias start getting showy they will be especially beautiful! Those sticky buns make my mouth water and I'll bet they smell wonderful too. Your pond is beautiful and I adore the fairy gardens! I have had very little time for writing or visiting lately. Much of my time is devoted to family commitments and trying to help out with my son-in-law during his ongoing battle with cancer. I know I have missed many good posts of yours and others but home to catch up a little during the summer break. Hoping you are well!

Pamela Gordon said...

Everything is looking very pretty in your gardens Cindy. I should do a fairy garden this year. Must look for some things to make one. The PVC pipe planter is really neat. I hope you take a photo when the plants have matured to share. I bet the coffee smells great even though I don't drink it. The weather is awful right now, as you well know. I hope it isn't what we'll be getting for June! Have a great week. Pam

Tante Mali said...

Cindy,
oh, I just staweld through Alice's wonderland. Fantastic. So lovely and funny and fantastic ideas!!! Congratulations!!!
All my best from Austria and happy days
Elisabeth

ghost bead bracelet