Saturday, February 8, 2014

Rusty Wood ~ Sunlit Sunday


Welcome to the very little bit of sun found this week and snapped up and captured right away by my camera. 

Come sit a spell with a cup a tea while I read some Sunlit blogs that Karen has hosted on her party over at My Little Home and Garden. Thank you Karen

For this sunny meme.




The colour of rust
 I found this treasure in the back yard at my daughter's house. There is something about rust that attracts me to it, not that I want to clean it because I'm impulsive but there is just this rustic charm that resides close by.


We are still on holidays.  That means RV-living in the woods where it is amazingly beautiful, calm, quiet and at times a little creaky.  There isn't any wind in North Carolina like there is in PEI, however every now and then the wind will catch the leafless trees in the forest and the sounds it makes are creepy and creaky, it sent me running into the RV one night.



The smell of fresh cut wood
  Like most of the US and Canada this PolarVortex has created a lot of stir and cold.  We came away with short sleaves, a pair of shorts and spring jackets. So are I have purchased long sleaves and turtle necks.  Here the kids heat the house with wood.  It has been so cold we have gone through 3 piles like this. We lined the kids up and had them pass them down the line and we piled it.  This pile is all burnt, tomorrow I'll be splitting wood and grandpa will be piling it.

 Grandpa is talking about heading to Kentucky. On Monday we are going to take a short road trip to Booneville to visit the feed and grain mill to get some fresh stone ground corn meal.  Grandma is going to make some Hoecakes.  Have yourself a wonderful weekend, I hope to get around to ya'll soon.

~00~ Grandma (aka Cindy)
 or Crafting - http://scrapandwrap.ca

16 comments:

Lorrie said...

There are a lot of woodpiles going down in a big hurry these days - even in our neck of the woods. Brrrr. I really like photos of woodpiles - so texturally interesting. Have fun on your travels.

Lynne said...

Nothing like the warmth of a wood fired system. A bunch of work though it is. It must be fun engaging the entire family in the process.

I like the rusted look too. Charming piece in your daughters back yard . . .

Enjoy your days of creeky, creepy RV camping in the woods!

My Little Home and Garden said...

There may not be a fireplace or wood stove here, Cindy, but I can recall the wonderful fragrance of a wood fire burning.

I had to look up "hoecake" and see that it another name for "Johnnycake"; my father used to mention enjoying it when he was growing up. Perhaps it's something I should try making!

Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Karen

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Oh I love the shafts of sunlight on the wood pile Cindy.
Those stacks must give a feeling of warmth and security amidst winter's grip.
Your daughter will be grateful for more willing hands to help with these chores.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful sunlit photos today. Have safe travel.

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

It's great to see the sun highlight things like the garden bench. I love the smell of burning wood. We kept our home heated with it for many years. Kentucky sounds great to me- anything south of Michigan that is warmer sounds great!

Janus Evelyn Wilson said...

Great photos Cindy. Makes me feel like I am back in an earlier time.
I can just taste the hoecakes. Bet they were/ will be good.

Karen said...

THat bench is a real treasure!

cedarmerefarm said...

I have never heard of Hoecakes before. I looked it up online and learned that there are many variations and numerous different recipes. Would you share with us your secret recipe? It looks delicious. I want to try making it.

LesleyAnn said...

That is a beautiful seat. I'd love to have one like it. It would be perfect with clematis or some flowering vine growing up the sides.

Your jewelry is just stunning. I keep going back and looking at the photos ... beautiful.

Pamela Gordon said...

I like the rusty garden bench Cindy. It adds character to the yard. I love taking photos of woodpiles. There's something artistic and orderly about them. :) You are going through a lot of it but it's a good thing they have some to burn! I hope you have a fun trip to Kentucky! Take care. Pam

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Hello Cindy
I love the smell of fresh cut wood and then a resulting toasty fire.
Kentucky was nice when we drove through, enjoy.

Vicki Boster said...

So peaceful and beautiful here~

Ky??? where in KY -- that's my neck of the woods!

Vicki

Suburban Girl said...

I love the smell of freshly cut wood. Unfortunately when we have a fire it triggers my allergies. :( We have one now. I am warm but congested.

EG CameraGirl said...

Two things I love: the colour of rust and the smell of fresh-cut wood. I'm in Heaven. ;)

Unknown said...

I truly love rusty old things and the smell of wood burning is heavenly! Safe and fun travels! xoxo Jen

ghost bead bracelet