Monday, November 18, 2013

Children Watch Too Much TV

Children grow up with way too much tv today and not a lot of imaginative play.  In fact some don't know what imaginative play is.  Ask yourself why that is?  I have an answer but first I want to have some fun.  
Grandma and Grandpa take Ana on A Camping Trip
"Take one"
Anastasia is my grand-daughter who has kept me young for the past 4 years.  She wanted Grandpa and I to take her camping in the RV because she thinks she might like that. 
Grandpa and I woke early so we could have coffee and a game of backgammon, we get the board set up and hear, 
"Hi guys, it's me Ana, I'm awake how was your night I had a good seep". (trouble with the sl's)
anastasia
Imagine never waking up grumpy.
"take two"
Ana: Grandma, you don't have tv in your RV.
Grandma: Yes I do.
Ana: Where is it I don't see it.
Grandma: That is because it is very small and we keep it in the cupboard.
Ana: Do you think I can watch it.
Grandma:  Are you allowed to watch tv at home?
Ana: Not when I'm milking cows or eating breakfast.
Grandma: Ok, then you can watch tv, I'll get it out of the cupboard for you.
smallest_tv
Grandma: Remember I said it was small.
Ana: I can't see it Grandma.
Grandma: Hang on we have a special way of watching RV TV.
tools_to_ watch_tv


Ana: Grandma your silly

children_watch_too_much_tv

Ana: Look Grandma I can see it
change_the_channel

Ana watching RV  TV
watchiing_tv
tv_ana
change_the_channel

Ana: Grandma.
Grandma: What is it child?
Ana: Grandma, can you change the channel?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Why Grandma thinks children don't have enough imaginary play.  Well my guess is everyone including tv does their thinking for them.  We want to be the teachers of children however we don't set the stage for imaginary play.  Why  did I have so much imaginary play in my day?  Was it because there wasn't as many toys as there are today to occupy us?  Was it that mom and dad didn't have the money so we played with cardboard boxes.  Or was it that our parents were smart and set the stage for imaginary play?  Perhaps all the above but Grandma has a word of wisdom and that is teach your children to play, to imagine and at the same time have fun with them.  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The blog post is over and you may continue reading if you like but the following is just so I can look back and read and remember..........   Ana sleeps like a butterfly! knees up in the air and all of a sudden they drop to the sides.  I woke up every 20 minutes to this all night long.  She also grinds her teeth at night, when I asked her about it she said she didn't have time to sharpen them in the daytime so she does it at night.  She also sleeps with her arms straight up in the air, she drops them only when you are just about to open your eyes so that it is more of a surprise seeing them land on your face.  She does all this in her sleep.  FYI Grandma, This is the first time I climbed a ladder, I'm not allowed to at the farm.
getting_down


one_step

Ana: Ok grandma, I"m down now, what do you want to do next?
And if my children read this, thank you.  Thank you for listening to me when I said, "have your children when you are young."  I lied about the reason.  It was really because I wanted to be young enough to enjoy them, thanks.

xoxoxo Grandma   ~OO~

1 comment:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I totally agree, when we were growing up, we had no color T.V. or remotes, no cell phone, iPad, or computers. And we had fun roller skating, paper dolls, riding bikes. All this tech leaves kids unable to entertain themselves without it. and also makes them not active enough!

ghost bead bracelet