Friday, May 2, 2014

Our Red Red Robin

The French Gardener and I have been busy this past week taking care of a few garden details


Building more bird feeders and spots for the Robins to nest


Interesting enough the Robins will go hungry rather than eat seeds


So we took strawberries, cranberries, nuts, dried fruit, prunes and raisins and made the Robins a smorgasbord


We used some of our firewood to build their shelters


We bagged up a little feed and sent it over to Victoria's (daughter) so her Robins get feed


Oh I almost forgot to mention the water has been warming up in the pond by one degree a day and soon we will start to feed the Gold Fish and Coi. The temp is 45 degrees and you shouldn't start feeding with a low protein fish food until the water temp reaches 50 for two weeks. Then we will go to normal feeding high protein when the water temp reaches 65. 

The gardens are looking so abandon right now, yes the snow is almost gone but we have had rain and yucky weather so I've not got a chance to get out there and putter around yet. I have plenty to do with this head cold that I've been nursing for a week now and I've been under the weather.  I'm hoping by the time the sun shines I'll be back in the saddle and ready to get at the gardening clean up.

For now - Tylenol and throat soothing lozenges
Cindy 







~00~ Grandma (aka Cindy)

8 comments:

Amy at love made my home said...

Hi there, I'm sorry that you are feeling icky, I hope that you are better soon. Love the robin feeders and nesters, it is funny how they have totally different tastes in food and nest sites that other birds isn't it! Hope that you have a good weekend. xx

Janus Evelyn Wilson said...

Blessings on you for caring for the birds, especially when you're feeling yucky. I have only seen one robin about 2 weeks ago. I guess we need to vary the food we put out for them. Don't be koi about sharing the fish stories (sorry, that's a groaner I couldn't resist). Get well.

Country Gal said...

Oh I bet the Robins will just love all that . Hope you feel better soon ! Thanks for sharing . Have a good weekend !

Joanne Bischof said...

Those houses are so cute! And what a yummy feast you've laid out for those robins. I bet you'll enjoy watching them come. :)

Pamela Gordon said...

I love your cute bird feeders Cindy. I'm wondering if the robins ate the fresh fruit you put out for them. I heard one singing quite a song this evening. Lovely! Have a great weekend! Hugs. Pam

BluMoon said...

I love your sweet bird feeders, what a feast the robins are getting, ours love live food when they are feeding their chicks I think most of the birds do so I always supply plenty of mealworms, in the spring. Our weather has picked up and we have been getting some lovely sunny days.
Jackie

Unknown said...

Your bird feeders are lovely! I'll be eating with the birds...that's my kind of smorgasbord! Get well soon! xo Jen

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

Wow, what gorgeous feeders, Cindy! I hadn't realized robins dislike seeds, I suppose now I'll have to share my cranberries ;) I was thrilled when we finally saw them late last month!

ghost bead bracelet