Monday, December 23, 2013

Its Beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Toys in Every Store



Memory:  Many many years ago Christmas Carolers would come down the street and all be holding song books.  They would ring your door and sing you a Christmas Song.  If you wished you could put on your coat and go with them to sing along.  I haven't seen carolers since I was way little.

Tradition:  We spent every year at the cottage for Christmas.  Mother would take care to hide and disguise presents, stockings and special things.  We would ride the 30 minutes out of town.  Arrive at this frozen stone cottage and turn on electric blankets to start warming the beds.  Mom would have to carry all the food, clothes and toys that she packed and put into the truck and then into the house while my brother and I were told to stay still and read books in sleeping bags to stay warm.  Dad would light the wood stove, then go and prime the water pump and repair any leaky pipes.  I'll never forget the year he forgot to drain the water system one weekend we were there and he had about 40 pin wholes in the old copper pipes. He worked at that all weekend to be sure mother had water so she wouldn't pack up and go home.

Just because:  Each and every year I have to watch Chevy Chase's movie of Christmas Vacation. There is some memory of untangling all the lights and checking them twice that my brother and I shared in at that time of year and the crazy things he does that reminds me to have a good time even through the bad.  Well the kids insist I bring the movie to their house and sit and watch it with them even though they have seen it half as many times as we have.  I have seen it twice this year both with Matthew and Victoria and Jennifer asked me to watch it with her when I go down.  I think they just get a kick out of me watching this movie or it brings back a memory for them as well.  If you haven't seen it I could loan you a copy I have several.

Song: Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas




My son the chef told me he would come make the dough for my meat pies, I think he forgot and I'm going to have to tackle that job all by myself this year. Oh well I hope they turn out because I'm sure Christmas Eve I'll hear about it if they don't.  

Oh I should make some shortbread also, yum I love shortbread.

And Victoria gave me her carcass from a large chicken they had for supper two nights ago and asked me to make her chicken and dumplings, she is going to be happy, happy, happy.

Today I'm joining Tea Cup Tuesday... even though my tea cups aren't shown here I was having a cup while posting to the following:
Martha's Tea Cup Tuesday Martha's Favorites
Terri's Tea Cup Tuesday  Artful Affirmations
Sandi's Tea Cup Tuesday Rose Chintz Cottage


Wishing you a glorious day and a Merry Christmas,
Cindy 




6 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Our church bundles up and goes out caroling every year. They drive around many areas. It is lovely hearing their voices in the cold night air.

Lynne said...

Merry Christmas Cindy . . . I love the memory stories! Copper pipes with pin holes, fixed for your mom so she wouldn't pack up and go home . . . That was love!

Janus Evelyn Wilson said...

Ah yes, Chevy chase's Christmas Vacation is a tradition at our house as well. Mom and I watched it last night and phoned Craig to tell him it was on CBC so he could watchit too and Steve has watched it as well this year. It's funny and strangely inspirational too.
I remember going to Grampa's cottage for Christmas when I was 10. What I remember most was everyone sleeping on the floor around the heating stove and Grampa getting up frequently to feed it wood so we didn't all end up as popsicles.
I always loved the idea of caroling and got to do it with my church choir one year. I never heard any carolers myself.
Thanks for the memories.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

A neighbouring family used to come around carolling when their children were younger and it was nice to open the door to them.
Hope you get all your baking done Cindy and have a glorious Christmas with your family.
Judith

Terri said...

Ah yes, memories. What an adventure your Christmas was!
Merry Christmas!
Terri

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

We have carollers in certain neighborhoods here on the Island. It is always lovely to hear them as it brings such a spirit of Christmas. You have some lovely memories of past Christmases with your family. Hope all goes well with your baking. Have a beautiful and joyous Christmas with your loved ones.

Christmas blessings,
Sandi

ghost bead bracelet