Monday, December 16, 2013

Vintage Christmas

I so love Vintage and the memories they hold.  I'm getting old and I'm enjoying so many posts from others on Vintage Christmas as there isn't much I own from years gone by but memories.

I had some old lights but again they aren't Vintage just old. I plugged them in and sparks flew from under my hand, no fun, so they are now gone.

I should stick to the memories.
Memory: We only had three but they were lights that screwed into the set on the tree and when they warmed up the glass tube had water in it and they would bubble.  Do you remember those?

Tradition:  Growing up we had nasty old tree stands, probably vintage ones.  You would crank three sides to the stand and try and level the tree.  It only held for about 1 cup of water and the tree drank more than that the first few days.  Our stand had one side that the screw crank thread was striped and every once in a while the tree would fall over.  Yes this was a tradition, not a memory, because we continued to use that old tree stand.  

Gifts: Guy has got to be the best Christmas Stocking Stuff'r in the world, he truly has been our Christmas all these years gone past.  Even my son Matthew was telling me the other day, that he isn't too old for a Stocking yet and to make sure Guy does his stocking because he thinks I might have done his last year.  Anyway each year they are stuffed with surprises.  About 7 years ago, the kids were doing their stockings and Victoria unwraps "lifesavers" you know the box that opens and the window on each side revels packages of lifesavers candy?  She looks up and says, "didn't I get this last year?"  We all laughed so hard.

Vintage Kris Kringle:     Karen's Cottage and Castle



Yesterday we had a dumping of snow on PEI, I think Santa has ordered it so his sleigh will take off. Either way I just looked out and it is snowing again.  The snow plough driver has been by a number of times and the driveway is full, giving us a snow-day, feeling of being kept away from the rest of the world. I can imagine Christmas to be a lonely time for some.

"Lord" I pray that everyone has someone special during the Christmas holiday season to share the joy and happiness this time of year brings. Wishing good health and happiness is on my list this year. As well as finding another nativity so I can teach my grand-children of baby Jesus.  

Tis a glorious day,
Thank you for coming by and enjoying it with me.
xo ~00~ Grandma

8 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

I remember those lights with the plastic reflectors or tinsel ones around them. We had them in the 70's and 80's but got rid of them. Now they are vintage! If they work. lol Wonderful memories of Christmas past. I never liked doing stockings. They are expensive to do!!!

Janus Wilson said...

I prefer the older lights. We tried the led lights on the tree but they just didn't have that same warm glow that I love. We got dumped on here in Ottawa too but it sounds like you got more snow. I enjoy your shared memories and traditions.

Karen said...

Hi Cindy,
I am so honoured that you liked my Kris Kringle. Thank you so much for all of your kind words on my blog. I also remember those old Christmas tree lights with metal reflectors that my dad used to have such a time with. One would go out and the whole set would and he always struggled with that every Christmas. It is so nice to meet you Cindy and I am recovering slowly from my spignelian hernia surgery. Not good timing to be immobile but I am doing my best. Luckily I did some of my posts previous to my surgery - it is my new job since I retired. Lol...I hope you have a wonderful week.
Karen

Ginny Hartzler said...

I remember the Lifesavers house, and now I want one! Do you know where they would sell them? I didn't think they made them anymore, that s a great gift! My granddaughter would LOVE one!! I do remember the bubble lights, do they not sell them anymore? Your home must be amazing at Christmas!

Lynne said...

Ahhhhh . . . Bubble lights, I loved them!

weekend et coup de brosse said...

Très joli post, j'aime beaucoup ton blog, à bientôt- Cath.
PS: on ne peut pas s'inscrire comme follower, n'hésite pas à venir sur mon blog.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

So many memories to treasure and new ones to make! Merry Christmas to you.

Martha's Favorites said...

I do remember so many of the things you shared. I am a vintage person. I have saved and collected for years. I need to start letting go. Have a wonderful week. Blessings, Martha

ghost bead bracelet