Friday, December 13, 2013

O Christmas Tree

O Christmas Tree


Tradition:  As kids I don't think artificial trees ever existed because we had to suffer the cold, traps through the snow, locate the perfect tree then dad would take out his cross cut saw and cut the tree down. We then my brother and I would have to pull it onto the sleigh and off we would go home with our tree.

Song:   
(this is beautiful, be sure to watch)




Memory:  Mom worked for Tony O'Reily at the Steinberg's in the Westgate Shopping Mall. Steinber's often had more than food and I remember mom bringing home these glass balls for the tree.  She set the bag down beside the tree and when dad came home he brought in an arm load of wood and dropped it to the floor and one log bounced and landed on the bag crushing the glass balls.   My mother in law gave me glass balls two years ago, they are green, hollowed out in the centre and hand painted, just like the ones that got crushed.

School: As a little girl I was the starlight of my Grandfather, however at school I never felt that way.  Every play, or stage performance I always remember jumping up and down in my seat yelling "pick me, pick me" for every part that I never got.  This one year, I was chosen to be in the Christmas play. I remember the first practice, I was made to stand over here I looked up at the teacher and she put a finger to her lips that meant shhhh.  The night of the Christmas play I was given a big tree to hold and stand behind, yup I got my part in the play, "oh Christmas Tree."  

I hope you enjoyed my renditions of Christmas,
Enjoy your weekend, God Bless,
xoxo Cindy


9 comments:

June said...

Oooo SOOO SAD to have your Mom's glas balls crushed by the log and how sweet to be gifted your Mother inlaws ornaments!!!
O Christmas Tree! I am going to a friends home today to decorate her tree. She has been sick and fallen behind on her ta do list.
We will have fun!

June said...

I have enjoyed your blogs!

Pamela Gordon said...

I enjoyed the photos in the video Cindy. Beautiful! How nice that you received some new green ornaments like the ones your mother 'lost' to the log. Loved your story of the part you got in the Christmas play. I remember when I was in grade 2 I played the 'part' of a toy walking doll and had to walk in front of the Christmas tree on the stage in front of the whole school assembly and say "Mama, mama". :) Have a great weekend in the storm!

Janus Wilson said...

We did have artificial Christmas trees when I was a kid (and I'm 6 years older than you). I remember this god-awful silver thing we had: A straight pole like a broom handle with angled holes for holding these straight sticks with tinsel-like "needles". But I thought it was beautiful when Mom decorated it with blue ornaments.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love your story about the play. And your tree and the lights around the door are so beautiful!

Ivy and Elephants said...

Glad you got the replaced ornaments.
Love your pretty fresh tree, and the fact that you don't have to stand behind it!!! Shine, star, shine!
Hugs,
Patti

Ivy and Elephants said...

Glad you got the replaced ornaments.
Love your pretty fresh tree, and the fact that you don't have to stand behind it!!! Shine, star, shine!
Hugs,
Patti

Lynne said...

Love that your MIL treated you to some glass balls . . . I can just visualize the scene of the log hitting the Christmas balls sitting in the chair . . .

Bernideen said...

Your tree looks lovely and those views to the outside - wonderful!

ghost bead bracelet