Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Rainy Days and Spicy Rhubarb

Welcome to my afternoon and some of the quirky things that happen at Grandma's Place. This week I'm taking a garden break from planting and letting mother nature take care of her plan for watering Anne's Land.

I'm excited to share that the Guardian came out to grandma's and did a write up and a video (over and over) but we gott'r done finally.  I can't share with you the quirky things you say behind a camera when it is turned on and I can only hope that Mary is a great editor and takes out all of my flubbers. It is scheduled for this Saturday's paper and I'll be sure to post a link to the on line version this weekend.


The Lilacs are in bloom about the Island and a short drive to Cavendish was a showy one for sure. You will have to imagine the colour that surrounds our little Island as I forgot my camera at home. 

The house smelled of spicy rhubarb this week after I made rhubarb chutney. 


Doesn't it look yummy?


We ventured over to Victoria's and had our Father's Day celebration with the four Fathers in our lives, Dewar Victoria's cowboy, his dad - Aubrey farmer papa smurf, my seaglassing French Gardener Guy, and our son saran wrap Matthew.  Each of the men got a gift bag with a bottle of spiced rhubarb and a little bit of their personality. Dewar got a maze puzzle that can't be completed, Aubrey got papa smurf, Guy got seaglass cuff-links and Matthew got a bottle of my new coffee meat rub. I baked a cake and the four men got to cut themselves a piece of cake first. I put money in the cake and it was fantastic to see Victoria and Matthew light up like they were a kid again. 



Well I'm to the bottom of the cup again.
Time to get back at it.
I hope to see you next week for tea on Tuesday.

Bye for now,
Cindy

This week I'm skipping over and having tea with the following parties, will you join me for tea?

Bernideen's ~ Tea Time Blog





~00~ Grandma (aka Cindy)

8 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

It sounds like you are doing well with the tea room and getting lots of publicity, Cindy. And the men in your life sure had a fun Father's Day. Money in the cake - a childhood favourite! Have a great week Cindy!

Janus Evelyn Wilson said...

Sounds like a great Father's day all round. I'll bet the chutney was great. I remember the money in the cake. I was the cake baker in the family and I used to put money in the cakes for birthdays. Thanks for the memories.

Lynne said...

Fun idea . . . a first for me, I have never heard of putting money in the cake. Grandsons have birthdays, the 21st and 25th of July. Guess what I am going to do . . .
Any hints of how you do your "cake money gift?"

Loved your tea/lunch table setting . . . Sounds like you had great fun to celebrate Father's Day . . .

Country Gal said...

That's wonderful , I will be looking forward to the edition on your post ! I haven't had chutney of any kind for years looks wonderful ! Great photos ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

Amy at love made my home said...

I hope that the news piece is really great and that lots of new people come to visit. The chutney sounds delicious!!! xx

Martha's Favorites said...

Hi my friend: It sounds like you had a lovely day. I have never heard of money in a cake. Very interesting. Have a great day! Hugs, Martha

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hello Cindy,
It sounds like you all enjoyed the celebration. I love rhubarb anything and your tea table looks very cozy.
My, it's raining cats and dogs today, isn't it? We were out to visit my mother and it is quite cool out there today.
Thank you for joining me for tea and tea is just the thing for a cool day like this.

Blessings,
Sandi

Bernideen said...

Your chutney looks wonderful Canning is great fun. Your cup and saucer are lovely! You asked about the yo yo's - that is the round pieces on the quilt piece sew on the front of the bag. Grandmothers used to make yo yo quilts! So glad you shared!

ghost bead bracelet