Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The Strongest Survives

Gwaii Haanas the heart of

Haida Gwaii

Our trip across Canada started September 20, 2014 - our destination PEI to Haida Gwaii. We arrived Haida Gwaii after a 6 hour ferry ride on November 6th, 2014 at around 5pm.

 

We have travelled to some out of the way places, taken thousands of wonderful scenic pictures, explored areas of the earth that we can't imagine and then we arrived on Haida Gwaii. Finnally we are here, yes the rain is pounding down on the roof of the RV and we notice but only one small community centre sized store that appeared to hold everything from hardware to groceries. Not many villagers are out and about, but we noticed one logging truck coming down the road. I reach under the seat for the small visitors guide for the Island and with excitement I start to peer through the pages. I notice a great deal of nature, and warnings of the black bear, trails and excursions warning to let others know before you go into the wetlands because because we are entering a wild place without roads or stores or cellphones coverage, and to take plenty of water.

As a child growing up

We ventured outdoors and played cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians and hide-and-go-seek, inventing adventure, creating fun from sun up to sun down. Here we are as adults after learning the art of self entertainment we are finding ourselves arrested by our surroundings, complelled to lement and complain about the rain, lack of services, no internet and no cell towers to connect us. At one point I felt if this was a game I wanted to loose, loose badly so I could be booted off the Island and back to what was.


The rain stops and the sun comes out

A long walk on the beach proves to us the air is different here, when the birds sing they have song and there is an annouying cheerp frog that is only nativer to the Island I'm sure. Water runs down from the rain forests and higher up mountains, rushing fast sounding like continual thuds from pounding drums, who knows it may be sounds far off in the distance, far as the eagle flies.


What I've learned:

The Land: Is rich where the sea meets the shore and the Pacific temperate keeps the rainforest dense, mossy with western red cedar, western hemlock and spruce trees, some standing most covered by moss.


The Sea: Full of life the sea is home to salmon, herring, halibut, rockfish, crab, sea urchins, octopus, with 20 species of whales and dolphins in the waters. The Orca feeds on thousands of pounds of herring to fatten for the winter. Sea kelp is harvested after the herring lay their eggs (roe on kelp) and it is sold to Japan (I've yet to find out why). The sea is a cycle the herring fatten, the salmon eat then spawn to die, while the black bears eat the rich salmon and the herring school again.



The People: Habitation extends over 12, 000 years. Old carved burial poles and longhouse remains on the forest floor. I saw many Haida people and villagers, some walk with backpacks of self carving argelite for sale for visitors who wish to purchase. Others gather in groups standing around chatting about the last hunt I overherd on say.

 

What I've found:

Peace and grace, surenity and sound, rejouvination and relaxation.

I'll share with you in the following pictures.


Balance Rock

sea glass stone and shells

Rich forests


easy living

eating what the sea offers

making use of wood and driftwood

Creating and crafting

Stories and legends

never changing or maintaining

watching how significat nature can pass.

 

Now I see the beautify they so strive of the past, keeping this place a secret so it will ever last.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The only sign in the RV window is now 2fromaway.ca

 

Guy and I sit side by side during our quiet time and we surprise ourselves about how we both see the same things, but yet write so differently about our experiences, visit his rendition of PEI to Haida Gwaii at peiblog.ca


Until we connect,

Haaw'a Haida

Cindy

 

6 comments:

Janus said...

What wild beauty you've found! The moss growing on the trees looks bizarre and the mushrooms are eerily beautiful. I just loved the house with the birds painted on the back wall. Thanks for sharing this remote Canadian outpost. Congrats on making it to Haida Gwaii. Where to next?

Pamela Gordon said...

Oh Cindy. It all sounds so beautiful there. I love your photos that tell the story of that beauty. What a trip!! Can't wait to hear more of where you'll go next. Blessings for safe travels. Hugs. Pam

September Violets said...

I want to be there too. Beautiful shots of the islands. I've been as far as Tofino (pre-clear cutting) on Vancouver Is., and marvelled at the beauty there. We all fell in love with the rainforests and old growth trees. Even your toadstool shot looks like an ancient fungi. Is there a story for the magnificent bird paintings on the side of the house? I hope you were able to stay on the island long enough to really absorb the atmosphere. I think I would just love to lie down in that forest and watch things go on around me! A six-hour ferry ride does sound a bit tedious though. Where did the ferry start from? I hope your journey isn't ending just yet. Thanks for sharing your tour again. Wendy x

Lynne said...

FABULOUS photos . . .
Sacred place . . .

Amy at love made my home said...

I'm so glad that you arrived all safe and sound!!! I know that it has been a massive journey for you and I guess that you now have to go home too by the same route, so I hope that will be wonderful for you, just as the journey out has been! xx

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I love this - another place I hadn't heard of before. Enjoyed all your travel posts very much and the only reason I didn't comment on each of them is that I didn't want to drive you nuts with too many (I probably should have stopped at one, but so much beauty I just couldn't.) Thanks for sharing the journey!!!

ghost bead bracelet